GSoC Proposal : Video-clip applet in Amarok 2.X context-view

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 15:59:36 UTC 2009

On 23 Mar 2009, at 14:32, Simon ESNEAULT wrote:

> That was an expected answer :o)
>
> But maybe we can grow up a little bit the project, no ? For example
> we can also try to retrieve picture from public Flickr and Picasa
> album, and get artist information from last.fm, and mix the
> information in the same applet, following the mashtape plugin of
> songbird (http://getsongbird.com/) but we'll loose originality ...

I'll reply here to both the original proposal and your update.
Regarding your initial proposal:

I feel as mark does that just a video playing applet is not enough.
Especially with the new Plasma::VideoWidget thing or whatever it
wouldn't be more than a few weeks of work. However, the dateengine
that you propose is more substantial. Having a data-engine that
fetches video streams from all sorts of websites would be nice. But
even both of these together, imo, do not fill a summer of work.

Regarding what you are talking about above:

You are basically describing the Meta-Applets GSoC proposal that I
also put up on the wiki (this is a good thing, because it means that
there is momentum or at least some thought behind it). It would make a
lot of sense to pull together different information and put it in a
single coherent place (i wont repeat myself, read the project entry on
the kde soc techbase page for more). Playing video is a natural
extension of this. So I would recommend developing a Meta-Applet
proposal, possibly focused on a "rich content" meta applet (so video,
photos for example).

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680