GSoC Proposal : Video-clip applet in Amarok 2.X context-view

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:32:49 UTC 2009

That was an expected answer :o)

But maybe we can grow up a little bit the project, no ? For example we can
also try to retrieve picture from public Flickr and Picasa album, and get
artist information from last.fm, and mix the information in the same applet,
following the mashtape plugin of songbird (http://getsongbird.com/) but
we'll loose originality ...

Any other advice ?

Simon

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:13, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:

> 2009/3/23 Simon ESNEAULT <simon.esneault at gmail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is a very first draft for a GSoC proposal, what do you think about
> it ?
> >

> //--------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

> > framework allows a very good integration with related website such as
> > last.fm, magnatune, jamendo, etc ...
> > But it lacks integration with website who provide video-clip (youtube,
> > dailymotion, myspace tv, etc). Especially, it would be nice to visualize
> the
> > video clip streaming of the current track directly in a context view
> applet,
> > and to have some basic integration (view comment, rate, etc ...) with at
> > least youtube.com services.
> >
> > Project :
> > 3 main point for this project :
> > - Create a plasma video player applet which can play video stream. A
> video
> > widget can be integrated in a graphic scene (canvas, base of amarok
> context
> > view) by sub classing a QGraphicProxyWidget. Some test are needed though.
> > - Create a Data Engine which retrieve videos streaming URL from the
> > different website and order them relevantly (name correspondence, but
> also
> > popularity, rating, etc.) Plasma data engine allows us to retrieve
> > dynamically informations from websites, and then to easily use them in an
> > amarok context view applet
> > - Create the GUI and the final applet with the video player, links to the
> > original page, preview of the other videos, comment and rate if available
> >
> > Projected Time line :
> > Study Period:
> > 4/15 - 5/14: Continue to read code and playground
> >
> > Work Period:
> > 5/15 - 6/14: Revamp the old video applet and make it work with flash
> video
> > stream
> > 6/15 - 7/14: Build the Data Engine and use statistics or something to
> order
> > video clip
> > 7/15 - 8/15: Build the GUI
> > 8/15 – 9/01: Clean, document, test code
> > Background:
> >
> > I'm a PhD student in medical image processing in Rennes, France. I'm a
> > fervent user of KDE and Amarok since 3 year now, and have helped for some
> > bug and committed some patch for amarok. I'm familiar with Qt, plasma and
> > amarok code since 1 year now, and daily work on a C++ for a medical
> imaging
> > project.
> > Also a very big fan of music, I don't like to fire-up an internet browser
> > just to see what does the video-clip of my favorite songs look like, i
> think
> > it would be easier if everything is integrated, and this will surely make
> > amarok even better.
> >

> > Until may 15, I'll be and assistant professor in computer science so can
> [...]

Simon Esneault
Laboratoire Traitement du Signal et de l'Image, (LTSI, UMR-INSERM 642)
Université de Rennes I, Campus de Beaulieu,
35042 Rennes Cedex, France.
Tel : +33 (0)6 64 61 30 94
Mail : simon.esneault at univ-rennes1.fr