apply for GSoC Project: Mass Tagging

Peter Zhou peterzhoulei at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:54:15 UTC 2009

I will be happy to see the mass-tagging support be implemented using
qtscript.
It is already lots of dialog out there, and not 90% of the users may want to
fix their tags.
I wrote a script long long time ago about tag encoding fixing:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/multimedia/amarok/playground/src/scripts/encoding_fixer/

And I'm sure the script can do more than encoding fixing :)

Cheers,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:

> CCing amarok at kde.org for wider comments.
>

> On 23 Mar 2009, at 01:58, Zeng Huan wrote:
>
> > Hi Leo:
> >
> >      Glad to write to you. My name is Zeng Huan, I'm a student from
> > Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China. I am
> > interested in the Amarok project Mass Tagging.
> >
> >      I am a 3-year user of Amorok, I love this player very much, it
> > is the most great music player I ever used. But I did annoyed by the
> > tagging problem of Amarok. Since the most songs I listen to are
> > Chinese songs, many of them can not be found on musicbrainz, it
> > makes me to tag the tracks or find the CD cover manually, that was
> > tired. I am also a user of last.fm, I used the default upload to
> > last.fm function of Amarok 1.x to record my play history. I did
> > think use last.fm to develop the tagging function is a great idea.
> >
> >     Here is my simple proposal for this project:
> >     1.There should be a place for people to fill a different website
> > for mass-tagging besides last.fm, so when last.fm return the wrong
> > result, we can fetch the info from another server.
>
> what other sites do you have in mind for fetching info from? besides
> last.fm and musicbrainz, are there other large repositories of
> fingerprinted tag content?
>
> >     2.Is it possible for last.fm return more than one result? then
> > we need a dialog for user to choose the right result they want.
>
> not sure. the last.fm side is still missing one piece from them, so we
> need to wait on that to happen first. but i have received assurances
> it can be completed before the start of the SoC.
>
> >     3.Since the project's main effort is going to pay on the UI's
> > usablity and visual feeling, I think the more complex confirguration
> > can be leaved inside the general settings, the UI only offers some
> > simple functions, that leads to user friendly experience.
>
> >     Can you please tell me something more about the plan of this
> > project, so I can improve my proposal.

Peter ZHOU