apply for GSoC Project: Mass Tagging

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 11:05:17 UTC 2009

CCing amarok at kde.org for wider comments.

On 23 Mar 2009, at 01:58, Zeng Huan wrote:

> Hi Leo:
>
>      Glad to write to you. My name is Zeng Huan, I'm a student from
> Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China. I am
> interested in the Amarok project Mass Tagging.
>
>      I am a 3-year user of Amorok, I love this player very much, it
> is the most great music player I ever used. But I did annoyed by the
> tagging problem of Amarok. Since the most songs I listen to are
> Chinese songs, many of them can not be found on musicbrainz, it
> makes me to tag the tracks or find the CD cover manually, that was
> tired. I am also a user of last.fm, I used the default upload to
> last.fm function of Amarok 1.x to record my play history. I did
> think use last.fm to develop the tagging function is a great idea.
>
>     Here is my simple proposal for this project:
>     1.There should be a place for people to fill a different website
> for mass-tagging besides last.fm, so when last.fm return the wrong
> result, we can fetch the info from another server.

what other sites do you have in mind for fetching info from? besides
last.fm and musicbrainz, are there other large repositories of
fingerprinted tag content?

>     2.Is it possible for last.fm return more than one result? then
> we need a dialog for user to choose the right result they want.

not sure. the last.fm side is still missing one piece from them, so we
need to wait on that to happen first. but i have received assurances
it can be completed before the start of the SoC.

>     3.Since the project's main effort is going to pay on the UI's
> usablity and visual feeling, I think the more complex confirguration
> can be leaved inside the general settings, the UI only offers some
> simple functions, that leads to user friendly experience.

>     Can you please tell me something more about the plan of this
> project, so I can improve my proposal.

The most important and complicated part of this proposal is the UI
design, since this is quite a tricky thing to get done right. So i at
least would like to see some mockups or ideas with any sort of
proposal here.

also, take a look at 2 of hte accepted proposals from last year: http://tinyurl.com/soc-sample
  and http://tinyurl.com/soc-sample2 for ideas on what to expect in a
proposal.