How many Meta-Applets?

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 11:14:52 UTC 2009

On 23 Mar 2009, at 06:23, N Randolph wrote:

> Hello, mentors and all.
>
> The developers of Amarok have already acknowledged that meta-applets
> need to be implimented rather then having many different applets
> everywhere taking up extra memory and looking cluttered.  I agree
> that  it seems unnecessary to have so many different objects running
> simultaneously ie. for lyrics separately from albums. Breezing over
> the current code there are separte ones for albums, lyrics,
> playlistinfo, wikipedia, currenttrack, mediadecives and serviceinfo.
> By combining programs for different applets in a way that they fit
> together puzzle-piece-like (in new programs, of course), I hope to
> develop meta-applets for many of the applets that are compatable.
> With that, what are the earnest guidelines that I need to consider,
> such as the number of meta-applets to create?

I'm unclear exactly what you are asking here. Are you just interested
in some Amarok development? If so, you should come join us in #amarok
on irc (freenode). you can find me there (nick is lfranchi) and if you
have any contextview related questions i'm the person to ask.

i'm also not sure there needs to be an answer for your question---
asking how many applets is like asking "how many firefox plugins there
should be"---as many as people actually write. right now off the top
of my head i would think no more than 2 or 3 for the number of data-
engines that we have already. but of course many more can always be
written to grab new data sources.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680