GoSoC 2009 UPnP Proposal -draft 2

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:07:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Michael Pujos <pujos.michael at laposte.net> wrote:
> Ian Monroe a écrit :
>>
>> Maybe I'm wrong though. One idea is to hack out a little Qt CLI app to
>> poke the Coherence API so that you can have the Coherence API figured
>> out before you start getting into Amarok collection implementations.
>> Remember you aren't bound by such decisions made in your proposal. :)
>>

> I'd really look at the Platinum SDK instead
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/platinum/). It is an open source UPnP
> framewrok written in C++ and used primarily in XMBC.
> Having remote UPnP collections a first class citizen in the app is going
> to be hard using only scripting, IMHO.

Coherence has a DBus API.

> It might also be easier to start by implementing the MediaServer as
> there's not much UI work appart from a configuration dialog.

I agree it might be easier, but its also far less important (people
can even run the media server as a separate app, there's isn't a real
big need for it to be part of Amarok).

> Also many UPnP AV devices behave in their own quircky ways, and that
> must be taken into account when you want to make a Controller or Server
> that work with most of these.

Doesn't the backend library (whether Platinum or Coherence) handle all
that sort of crap?

Anyways I'll take a look at that API, I hadn't heard of it.

Ian