GoSoC 2009 UPnP Proposal -draft 2

Michael Pujos pujos.michael at laposte.net
Tue Mar 10 01:36:40 UTC 2009

Ian Monroe a écrit :

>> It might also be easier to start by implementing the MediaServer as
>> there's not much UI work appart from a configuration dialog.
>>

> I agree it might be easier, but its also far less important (people
> can even run the media server as a separate app, there's isn't a real
> big need for it to be part of Amarok).

Sure a server is less spectacular but it still a nice thing to have to
stream to a PS3, XBOX, iphone, other Amarok instances etc.
It can probably live in its own process as long as there is an API to
access the Media Library.

>> Also many UPnP AV devices behave in their own quircky ways, and that
>> must be taken into account when you want to make a Controller or Server
>> that work with most of these.
>>

> Doesn't the backend library (whether Platinum or Coherence) handle all
> that sort of crap?

These quirks are essentially true for Media Servers. Some devices have
limited capabilities, others take shortcuts regarding the (complicated)
spec, some won't handle long URLs, others will only allow a few
samplerates (hello PS3)...etc