Collection Scanner Missing Files

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jul 16 02:26:01 UTC 2009

Edgar Kalkowski wrote:
> In my case I for example added a new album to my collection and then recognized that there was a typo in the ID3 tag. I then fixed the tag with an external tag editor (easytag) and updated my collection but it did not reflect my changes.

This is actually probably not due to the reported problem, but rather
due somewhat to how the collection scanner works. The collection scanner
looks at the mtime (modified time) of the selected folders. (It doesn't
hold mtimes for individual files because this would cause a huge blowup
in the size of the database and such; nevertheless, this is such a
common question/"problem" that it might be worth it.)

mtimes of folders are updated when the folder is touched, or when files
are removed/added to the folder. So simply editing a file will not
update the mtime of the containing folder and thus the collection
scanner will not pick up the change unless you force it by touching it.

As for the OP's problem -- this is likely fixed by some changes I've
made since 2.1.1, i.e. it may very well be fixed in current SVN trunk
(which will eventually become 2.2, in a while). However, please note
that the problems are really multiple, affecting the database and the
collection browser. I should have fixed the database problems, but the
collection browser is a whole nother ball of wax. You can verify which
it is by simply restarting Amarok; if this "fixes" the problem, then the
artifacts you're seeing are collection browser issues.

--Jeff