Collection Scanner Missing Files

Tycho Andersen tycho at tycho.ws
Thu Jul 16 13:50:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Edgar
Kalkowski<eMail at edgar-kalkowski.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I had similar issues with “Update Collection” and “Rescan Collection” though I was never able to really able to reproduce them and thus never reported them.

Same here, which is why I e-mailed the list I suppose ;-).

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Jeff Mitchell<mitchell at kde.org> wrote:

> This is actually probably not due to the reported problem, but rather
> due somewhat to how the collection scanner works. The collection scanner
> looks at the mtime (modified time) of the selected folders. (It doesn't
> hold mtimes for individual files because this would cause a huge blowup
> in the size of the database and such; nevertheless, this is such a
> common question/"problem" that it might be worth it.)
>
> mtimes of folders are updated when the folder is touched, or when files
> are removed/added to the folder. So simply editing a file will not
> update the mtime of the containing folder and thus the collection
> scanner will not pick up the change unless you force it by touching it.

Interestingly enough, when I touch the afflicted folders, the next
collection scan seems to pick up the files. It doesn't make sense as
to why they wouldn't be picked up on the first scan, but it's at least
a work around.

> As for the OP's problem -- this is likely fixed by some changes I've
> made since 2.1.1, i.e. it may very well be fixed in current SVN trunk
> (which will eventually become 2.2, in a while). However, please note
> that the problems are really multiple, affecting the database and the
> collection browser. I should have fixed the database problems, but the
> collection browser is a whole nother ball of wax. You can verify which
> it is by simply restarting Amarok; if this "fixes" the problem, then the
> artifacts you're seeing are collection browser issues.

The things I saw were not fixed by simply restarting Amarok, so they
were probably database problems. As I mentioned above, though,
touching the afflicted directories seems to 'fix' the problem.

If you think the database issues are fixed with a particular SVN
revision/tag, I'd be happy to try it and see.

\t