patch for src/playlist/view...

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Jan 10 18:45:22 UTC 2009

Am Saturday 10 January 2009 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Thomas,
Hi Nikolaj (you get the mail twice to avoid list approval delay... ;-)

> Thanks for the patch. I just added all this new playlist code from a
> personal git branch the other day, so I am well aware that it needs a
> lot of polish still! :-)
actually i've found some more issues - partially from my patch :-(

... see new patch =D

1) the model values were escaped from the playlist model
----
...leading to &s; etc. in the playlist

maybe it would be better to pass the plain version from the model and escape
it on demand? (i.e. if the view uses richtext painting - afaics currently none
does?)
otherwise we'd need to QString::replace() every playlist entry after just
uselessy escaping it :-(

2) (fallen out) there was an issue with empty etries (e.g. i tried to embrace
the album, leading to an opening brace but no closing one and no dummy
content)

leading to

3) there's no dummy ("unknown") content if the metafield is empty, what
(though a good idea in general) can lead to dull output like
" by on "<album> ... ;-P

i therefore extended the elements by two attributes "prefix" and "suffix" to
be able to bind synthetic text to specific metainfo and removed the "value"
string handling (which was incoherent anyway)

4) i tried a better handling for right aligned elements (kinda bidi rendering)
when using autosizes (before, everything is ditched to the right border)

5) the casual padding extension was afaics useless (you can add the padding
anyway - it's just not gonna used for the last element at all...)

more TODO:
==========
- if you accept the below patch, the "Title (with Track number) attribute can
probably be removed (e.g. i currently use a dot)

- the tracknumber should be "offsettable" (i.e. check max numbers in album and
prefix a "0" - for a simple life, we could just use %2d anyway, assuming that
most albums will have 10 - 99 tracks, esp. as afair 99 is a cdda limit...)

- we should hide out for a way to inject the album length for the "length"
attribute in headers

- the last used layout should be stored and reused on quit/restart

- the xml file should be reparsed on layout changes (currently i had to
restart amarok everytime i changed the least bit in the config file)

> If you are interested, you are more than welcome to help improving it
> and making sure that Amarok 2.1.0 gets the coolest playlist of any
> player out there. The major task that needs doing is coming up with a
> simple and intuitive interface for letting users configure elements
kwrite ;-P

ok, for the weak and unskilled: i guess you've seen the new kmail listview
(actually i thought amarok and kmail were gonna rely on the same lib)
it already has a nice configurator. maybe you can just dump that code and use
amarok specific items? (at least the result is very similar but i don't know
if it manages ann xml structure as well - KDE could really need such class
however)

> Also, do you have an example layout using some of the new features (
> auto sizing and custom strings ) that your patch added? If so, could
> you please send a patch with that?
attached (in addition to the patch)

> usually catch me on IRC channel #amarok on irc.freenode.net . My nick
> is nhnFreespirit. I will most likely be away most of today though.
me == unreasonable internet connection (for teh rest of this month -
hopefully) == nix IRC ;-)
i'll contact you there /iff/ i enter this century before we did the
playlist...

Thomas