recognizing changes in files

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 21:23:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Andrew Stromme <andrew.stromme at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyways, I wonder why
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/classKDirWatch.html
> isn't used. It looks like a great way to immediately react to file/folder
> changes. It even falls back nicely if FAM isn't available.

Suffice it to say that we did extensive testing with KDirWatch
initially, and this method proved inferior to our system. Admittedly,
this has been a few years ago, and the class might have improved by
now.

Currently I'm not personally intending to invest more time in this
code, as we have other technologies planned for the future
(Strigi/Nepomuk). But if someone were to contribute a patch that shows
significant improvements over our code, we would be happy to accept
it.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer