Seeking in flac files

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Wed Dec 9 10:57:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 04:58:51PM -0600, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> This happens because your flac files don't have seekpoints, which
> Amarok uses to seek around inside the track. You can add seekpoints to
> your flack files (assuming you have metaflac) like this:
>
> metaflac --add-seekpoint=1s *.flac
>
> Alternatively, if you have a directory structure full of flac files:
>
> find . -type f -regex '.*flac' -exec metaflac --add-seekpoint=1s '{}' \;

Thank you for the explanation.

I seem to have some files that have e.g. 20 seekpoints for 6 minutes,
and others with no seekpoints at all.

All created by using abcde with the flac backend.

The documentation for flac(1) says that seekpoints might be used for
indices for CD tracks. It doesn't sound like they should be the only
base for seeking in flac files...
 Thomas