Seeking in flac files

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Dec 14 14:31:07 UTC 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:

>> Apparently either xine-lib or phonon is weak link here as mplayer for
>> instance doesn't need explicitly defined seek points (but it doesn't use
>> libFLAC for encoding).
>> (And while being the best media player available, it's a shame it doesn't
>> provide any API...)
>
> It's xine. Also: Alternatives (iow: A better Phonon backend) are in
> the pipeline.

It doesn't seem to be all xine, maybe less so now anyway.  I just tested a
flac file last night using xine-lib-1.1.17 and phonon-4.3.80.

Interestingly, xine-ui could seek around fairly ok
To test phonon, I used using both kaffeine-1.0 and latest amarok,
with xine backend, seeking *kinda* worked, but it jumped around a bit,
sometimes even stopped playing
with gstreamer backend, was mostly the same, but subjectively, seemed a
little worse.

-- Rex