Version no. in recent GIT versions

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Dec 9 20:55:50 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 8:12 AM, Eelko Berkenpies wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:57:30 +0100, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Eelko Berkenpies <fedora at berkenpies.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> Recent GIT builds started to use a new type of version tag (-- Building
>>> git version v2.2.1-376-gfa8aa9d). Can this be found anywhere easier
> than
>>> browsing/searching the CMake logs? I kinda expected to see it in "Help"
>>> ->
>>> "About Amarok" too, or am I looking at the wrong place? :)
>>
>> Hmm, you can see a list of tags on this page, on the right side:
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/commits/master
>>

>> Does this help you?
>
> Not exactly, I should have made myself more clear, sorry. I am referring
> to this commit:
> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/commit/6e6a56e46e4935fb16f115cfa33de2ea5d54120f
>
> I expected to see the GIT version somewhere within Amarok too (at "Help"
> -> "About Amarok" for example). But looking at that commit (as far as I can
> understand it), it does not seem work yet and will always display "2.2-GIT"
> as the specific version because the condition seems to be commented out.

The reason is because it's actually extraordinarily difficult to do
this, mostly because of the very special (and as far as I can tell
undocumented) version strings that are accepted as the version in the
API that constructs the About stuff.

So it's an idea, but I have yet to figure out how to actually make it
work right.

--Jeff