Patch: Cover manager fix for 1.4.10

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Aug 22 18:46:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:07:28 -0400, Benjamin Johnson
<obeythepenguin at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, a disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware that 1.4 is no longer being
> maintained, but I still use it, and I'm sure others do too.  I'm
> posting this in case anyone else finds it helpful.
>
> After re-installing yesterday, I noticed the cover manager was no
> longer working, and after exhaustive googling returned nothing, I
> decided to investigate it myself.  Apparently this is due to
> (another?) change in Amazon's API.  I noticed that the current Git
> branch now uses last.fm to fetch album artwork, so I went in and
> backported the changes to 1.4.
>
> THIS IS A VERY CRUDE PATCH (I just wanted something that could compile
> and run).  It replaces the original Amazon fetching code, but leaves
> in a bunch of unused variables and a few functions from the old
> version.  The UI text still refers to Amazon, although Amazon-specific
> functions (i.e. change locale) are now disabled.  If anyone wants to
> clean this up or improve the code, please go ahead. :-)
>
> Hope this helps any other 1.4 users experiencing trouble.

We could possibly send this out to package maintainers, in case they want
to apply it to their packages, but I'd like to get some more people
verifying functionality first (not that I don't trust you, it's just always
good to test on multiple systems).

Anyone running 1.4 that can apply this patch and let us know how it goes?

Thanks,
Jeff