How can I edit genre in 1.4?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Aug 14 13:00:33 UTC 2009

Robert Smits wrote:
> On August 12, 2009 12:41:57 am Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
>> I have not use Amarok 1 for a long time, but can't you just right
>> click on a track and select "edit track details"?
>>
>> - Nikolaj
>
> Yes, you can but that only allows you to edit the genre information in the
> genre field of the track.
>
> I'd like to know how to edit all the categories in the genre file, so I can
> delete unused categories, etc.

If you're talking about MP3s, the genres are defined by the ID3v1
standard (such as one exists). See
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-129376727ebe5309c1de1888987d070288d7c7e7

ID3v2 doesn't use pre-defined genres, however, since many applications
write both ID3v2 and ID3v1 tags (mainly to maintain compatibility with
older and/or broken hardware players), they display the list of ID3v1
tags, or you can type your own (which will only be valid in ID3v2).

So if you're talking about MP3s, the answer is most likely: you can't
(and you can thank the ID3 standards for it).

--Jeff