How can I edit genre in 1.4?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 17:18:45 UTC 2009

Robert Smits wrote:
> After your comment, I installed eyeD3 and had a look. First, it appears to be
> only a command line tool

Yes...you didn't specify that you required a graphical program (and
being command-line makes it easy to script).

> and only lets me alter one kind of tag at a time.

No, you can alter more than one. i.e. AFAIK nothing stops you from using
--title=blah --artist=otherblah on the same file.

 In
> amarok, I can alter as many tags as I like and then change all the files in
> that directory.

You can alter tags on all the files in the directory with eyeD3 too.
Simply specify which files you want, i.e. *.mp3

> Second, the actual tags in list-genre, which I looked at,
> don't meet my needs at all - they're all music tags, and most of my  audio
> files aren't covered at all.  The documentation seems to suggest I can only
> use the tags in the list - which won't do at all.

That's probably not true. But you didn't seem to read my earlier email,
so I'll paste it:

"If you're talking about MP3s, the genres are defined by the ID3v1
standard (such as one exists). See
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-129376727ebe5309c1de1888987d070288d7c7e7

ID3v2 doesn't use pre-defined genres, however, since many applications
write both ID3v2 and ID3v1 tags (mainly to maintain compatibility with
older and/or broken hardware players), they display the list of ID3v1
tags, or you can type your own (which will only be valid in ID3v2).

So if you're talking about MP3s, the answer is most likely: you can't
(and you can thank the ID3 standards for it)."

eyeD3 probably lets you put whatever you want, but it won't be
compatible with any ID3v1 tags you write to the file (by default I think
it writes both, although this is easily tunable via command-line options).

--Jeff