Amarok 2 and iPhone/iPod Touch

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Apr 15 22:01:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 14:01 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Nicolas Will wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 17:42 +0100, Nicolas Will wrote:
> >> gtkpod does nothing to mount the iPod Touch, it uses mount points,
> >> either over ssh (iPhone/iPod Touch) or from the USB mass storage
> >> (regular iPods), AFAIK, but I'm no expert either.
>
> When gtkpod adds files via the mount point, do they show up in the
> iPod
> player on the device?  i.e. is it still accessing the ipoddb and all?

yup, no problem, music, movies, photos, all goes through properly and
show up on the iPod. Amarok 1.4.x had no problem with that either.

The problem is not with libgpod, it does its job.

The problem is for Amarok to know that there is an iPhone/iPod Touch
there.

> > The second one is through Gnome VFS, and I believe that this will
> not
> > fly within a KDE context...
>
> Well, Solid can enumerate mount points, although I think it relies on
> HAL for this.

And HAL deal with real hardware, not FUSE mount points that are in fact
very software-based beasts, at leat in the case of SSHFS or even iFuse.

>   I think.  You could try running solid-hardware with
> "solid-hardware list details" and "solid-hardware list
> nonportableinfo"
> and see if the mount shows up in either one of those.
>
> There may also be a KDE class for mountpoints...there used to be but
> not
> sure if that simply got folded into Solid.

Now you have started speaking a foreign language to me...

Could something in KDE just simply parse fstab? Would it be difficult to
offer a manual way for a user to point to a specific directory/mount
just like in Amarok 1.4?

I understand that what sounds simple and easy in my mind may not be that
straightforward in the real world...

nico