Amarok 2 and iPhone/iPod Touch

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Apr 15 22:34:33 UTC 2009

Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 14:01 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> Nicolas Will wrote:
>> When gtkpod adds files via the mount point, do they show up in the
>> iPod
>> player on the device?  i.e. is it still accessing the ipoddb and all?
>
> yup, no problem, music, movies, photos, all goes through properly and
> show up on the iPod. Amarok 1.4.x had no problem with that either.
>
> The problem is not with libgpod, it does its job.
>
> The problem is for Amarok to know that there is an iPhone/iPod Touch
> there.

Sorry, my question wasn't clear.  It was: is gtkpod simply transferring
files to a certain location on the mount point, or is it interacting
with the iPhone's database?  (Do you use the iPod app on the iPhone to
play the music, or something else?)

>>> The second one is through Gnome VFS, and I believe that this will
>> not
>>> fly within a KDE context...
>> Well, Solid can enumerate mount points, although I think it relies on
>> HAL for this.
>
> And HAL deal with real hardware, not FUSE mount points that are in fact
> very software-based beasts, at leat in the case of SSHFS or even iFuse.
>

>>   I think.  You could try running solid-hardware with
>> "solid-hardware list details" and "solid-hardware list
>> nonportableinfo"
>> and see if the mount shows up in either one of those.
>>
>> There may also be a KDE class for mountpoints...there used to be but
>> not
>> sure if that simply got folded into Solid.
>

> Now you have started speaking a foreign language to me...

What is foreign about "run solid-hardware with 'solid-hardware list
details' and 'solid-hardware list nonportableinfo'"?

> Could something in KDE just simply parse fstab?

That's the class I was talking about.  Like I said, I don't know if it
still exists in KDE4, or simply got folded into Solid.

> Would it be difficult to
> offer a manual way for a user to point to a specific directory/mount
> just like in Amarok 1.4?

Unsure.  A problem with this is that asking the user for mount points
doesn't make any sense on Windows, and less sense on OS X (for the
average user).  Really, libgpod should do this parsing in a
platform-specific way and return the relevant info to library consumers
in a platform-agnostic way.  Alejandro -- probably something to look at,
especially if your SoC project gets selected...

> I understand that what sounds simple and easy in my mind may not be that
> straightforward in the real world...

Yes  :-)

--Jeff