FLAC tags

Stuart Neill stuart.neill at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:16:38 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 20:02:46 Eddie Armstrong wrote:

> The one thing that spoils Amarok for me is the limited number of tags
> available in flac. (otherwise this program is great!)
> Surely it is possible to add some more tags such as:
> for hits compilations ;track original release date; Track artist. album
> artist, album release date
> mono/stereo, (I'm sure there are others required by collectors)
> I convert my CDs to flacs and would love to be able to find all tracks
> in a certain year etc, list by year released of individual songs when
> they were released as singles
> Are there any palns to upgrade tags?

Flac can be tagged in the same manner as Ogg Vorbis. I tend to use Grip to
create Flac files and it can apply those tags. Amarok has been able to edit
those tags for some considerable time.

Certainly Track Artist on a Various Artist type album and album release date
are doable, However if you are bemoaning the fact that you have to choose
between tagging the year of album release and the original year of release for
individual tracks then you are not alone. I tend to put the album release year
in the title for "greatest hit" type albums. Such problems lie not with Amarok
however, there needs to be some consensus on extending the range of standard
tags over all applications.

Perhaps you could indicate how you are applying  and editing tags at present.

Just as a cheeky aside, one of the Amarok2 devs might note that the tag "Disc
Number" had been forgotten about when sorting the playlist.

--
Stuart Neill