FLAC tags

Teo Mrnjavac teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:06:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Eddie Armstrong
<eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> The one thing that spoils Amarok for me is the limited number of tags
> available in flac. (otherwise this program is great!)
> Surely it is possible to add some more tags such as:
> for hits compilations ;track original release date; Track artist. album
> artist, album release date
> mono/stereo, (I'm sure there are others required by collectors)
> I convert my CDs to flacs and would love to be able to find all tracks
> in a certain year etc, list by year released of individual songs when
> they were released as singles
> Are there any palns to upgrade tags?
> TIA
> Eddie,

This may or may not reflect the opinion of the rest of the team but
I've been working on tags recently and I think the tag dialog is in
need of an overhaul sooner or later.
If I understand your question correctly you would like to have more
fields available for FLAC tags.
This is handled by taglib so I'm not sure how much freedom do we have
in this matter, but almost certainly something can be done - after all
this is free software by all means.
FLAC tags actually borrow from the Vorbis comments specification, which says
"Individual 'vendors' may use non-standard field names within reason.
The proper use of comment fields should be clear through context at
this point. Abuse will be discouraged."
The official list of proposed field names is indeed quite limited, so
the question of adding a field or not boils down to the definition of
"abuse".