Newbie problems (3rd try)

Greg Meyer greg at gkmeyer.com
Mon Sep 1 16:46:15 UTC 2008

On Monday 01 September 2008, JWHFerguson wrote:
> Hi (Ama)rockers,
>
> I started using Amarok 1.4.9.1 on Ubuntu 8 (with Gnome, not KDE) a week
> ago, and find it hard to operate. I installed Amarok from the default
> Ubuntu Universe library. I found the manual at
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-multimedia/amarok/index.html
> but this is very basic indeed. I use Amarok to operate an iPod Classic.
>
> My main issue is that I do not understand how Amarok constructs the
> Collection. Attached are two images, the Nautilus file manager list and
> the Amarok collection representation. One of the files is missing (1st
> track on Nautilus list). I cannot manage to get the collection to
> reflect the contents of the folder with the audio files. Highly irritating.

It reads the id3 tags on the files and displays them in the format you choose
in the collection page.  Nautilus is displaying the directory structure.
These are two completely different things and will never be the same.

Look in Amarok's files tab, this is a representation of the directory
structure and should match what you see in nautilus.

--
Greg