Feedback / Suggestions

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:51:32 UTC 2008

Hi again! :-)

> Now using a trunk version since that last post, some more feedback, details
> and wishes (maybe sometimes impossible).
>
> Applets :
> - links inside wikipedia and lyrics applet should open default web browser.

Good idea.

> - should be a way to customize wikipedia and lyrics background color (right
> click or something)

The background color of these applets is something we have discussed a
lot recently. We are aware that white is not optimal in all cases, but
changing it right now leads to odd looking borders as the color of the
applet border svg elements is hardcoded to white. This is something
that we will work on sometimes after 2.0.0 is released.

> - wikipedia applet should use a smaller font in my opinion.

I think it uses the system font at the moment.

> - will there be a way to control each applet size ?

Dunno, someone with more plasma-foo than me will have to answer this.

> Collection browser :
> - when i choose an ordering scheme like this one : "Artist/Year - Album" the
> ordering is done with the album, and not with the year... here is an example
> :
> Adorable
> + 1993 - Against perfection
> + 1994 - Fake
> + 1993 - Favorite Fallen Idol
> Is this the correct behavior ?

No. This should be fixed as of today though.

> - After editing one or several track from the collection browser, the
> collection list collapse and you have to manually expand it again and browse
> to the correct place.

Yes, this is unfortunate. I dont know if this is something that is
easily fixable.

> Media device (creative zen muvo)
> - it's not possible to delete several song from a media device, when two or
> more songs are selected the option delete song disappear. So one has to
> delete them one by one (or use gnomad2 ...)
> - the collection list twice each songs, once under "various artist" and once
> under the artist folder. Also the year is not correctly handled, and all of
> the songs are shown with the year "1010"
> - media device applet shows a strange and useless number beside the last
> icon (D7A5109something). I think it should show additional information, like
> number of songs, free space (with a nice diagram), and also it may be the
> correct place for a progress bar when transferring songs. (or not the
> correct place :))
> - The disconnect mtp device only shows up when we select a single song in
> the collection browser.
> - If you don't have the media device applet there is no way to see that you
> device is detected, and when it's not plugged, the media device applet is
> useless in the context view. So is it possible to automatically add the
> applet when a device is plugged and remove it from the context view after ?

Again, someone with more knowledge in this are will have to answer.

> Playlist :
> - should be a way to transfer songs to the media device directly from the
> playlist. (maybe use the magical drag'n drop stuff but from the right to the
> left this time, in a convenient way to dialog from the playlist to the
> collection)

This would be nice. Please post a wishlist item on bugs.kde.org.

> - is there some plan to see a playlist filtering ? If not maybe the new "go
> to active track" could be expand to a "jump to track" with a small popup
> allowing to jump from track to track in the playlist.

We have plans for filtering/searching in the playlist, although it
will be somewhat different from the 1.4.x way.

> - smart ordering is much better now !!

Good, the whole damn thing was basically rewritten by Soren Harward
who did an excellent job.

> - when selecting several track from different album and/or artist and
> editing them, the input dialog with differents value should be unwritable,
> in grey (like the title input). Because if one want to rate several track at
> once with the "edit songs" dialog, all the artist/album/year tag will be
> saved as blank one ! It happens to me with more than 2000 songs ...
> hopefully easytag "guess tag from file" is powerful enough ... This also
> occurs in the collection browser if you select several songs from different
> artist, edit them for whatever you want to edit them and save them, the
> result will be blank tag for all this songs. There should be at least a
> warning.

Yet again I defer the answer to someone who knows about this stuff! :-)

> Please take this feedback in a constructive way, i really love all that
> you've done, and use amarok 2 everyday.
> Keep going the good work, i may send other mail after a while, if it's
> useless or not the correct way to do this please tell me.

No, your feedback is well formulated and constructive. Please keep it
coming! :-)

- Nikolaj