Feedback / Suggestions

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:32:19 UTC 2008

Hello again,

Now using a trunk version since that last post, some more feedback, details
and wishes (maybe sometimes impossible).

Applets :
- links inside wikipedia and lyrics applet should open default web browser.
- should be a way to customize wikipedia and lyrics background color (right
click or something)
- wikipedia applet should use a smaller font in my opinion.
- will there be a way to control each applet size ?

Collection browser :
- when i choose an ordering scheme like this one : "Artist/Year - Album" the
ordering is done with the album, and not with the year... here is an example
:
Adorable
+ 1993 - Against perfection
+ 1994 - Fake
+ 1993 - Favorite Fallen Idol
Is this the correct behavior ?
- After editing one or several track from the collection browser, the
collection list collapse and you have to manually expand it again and browse
to the correct place.

Media device (creative zen muvo)
- it's not possible to delete several song from a media device, when two or
more songs are selected the option delete song disappear. So one has to
delete them one by one (or use gnomad2 ...)
- the collection list twice each songs, once under "various artist" and once
under the artist folder. Also the year is not correctly handled, and all of
the songs are shown with the year "1010"
- media device applet shows a strange and useless number beside the last
icon (D7A5109something). I think it should show additional information, like
number of songs, free space (with a nice diagram), and also it may be the
correct place for a progress bar when transferring songs. (or not the
correct place :))
- The disconnect mtp device only shows up when we select a single song in
the collection browser.
- If you don't have the media device applet there is no way to see that you
device is detected, and when it's not plugged, the media device applet is
useless in the context view. So is it possible to automatically add the
applet when a device is plugged and remove it from the context view after ?

Playlist :
- should be a way to transfer songs to the media device directly from the
playlist. (maybe use the magical drag'n drop stuff but from the right to the
left this time, in a convenient way to dialog from the playlist to the
collection)
- is there some plan to see a playlist filtering ? If not maybe the new "go
to active track" could be expand to a "jump to track" with a small popup
allowing to jump from track to track in the playlist.
- smart ordering is much better now !!
- when selecting several track from different album and/or artist and
editing them, the input dialog with differents value should be unwritable,
in grey (like the title input). Because if one want to rate several track at
once with the "edit songs" dialog, all the artist/album/year tag will be
saved as blank one ! It happens to me with more than 2000 songs ...
hopefully easytag "guess tag from file" is powerful enough ... This also
occurs in the collection browser if you select several songs from different
artist, edit them for whatever you want to edit them and save them, the
result will be blank tag for all this songs. There should be at least a
warning.

Please take this feedback in a constructive way, i really love all that
you've done, and use amarok 2 everyday.
Keep going the good work, i may send other mail after a while, if it's
useless or not the correct way to do this please tell me.

Simon

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 18:23, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Simon
>
> > Following the development of amarok since quite a long time now, i would
> > like to thanks all of you for your great work!
> > So far amarok 2 beta 2 is looking very good and really is daily usable
> now !
>
> Thank you. We are working where hard on it. Often when we should be
> working/sleeping/studying/... :-D
>
> > - The new context view rocks, and with the on-going plasma development,
> the
> > potential is really huge ! I hope it will become somewhat similar with
> the
> > "mashTapes" plugin of songbird (plus plasma bling bling of course :))
> > gathering all sort of media information in a fancy way. Right now the
> video
> > applet crash everything when i want to use it. Adding the possibility to
> > watch a live on youtube from the same artist directly in the context view
> > will be awesome, Totem youtube plugin is a good exemple
>
> The context view is very much still a work in progress. The version
> you see now is likely close to what will be released in 2.0.0, but
> after that we can really start to experiment with using it in
> interesting ways.
>
> > - The wikipedia applet background in white doesn't look very integrated,
> > shouldn't it be in grey ? Same for the links color.
>
> The idea is to make the text heavy (wikipedia, lyrics, service info )
> applets use a background better suited for text reading.
>
> > - We should be able to queue some track in the playlist directly from the
> > album applet. Because when you listen to some random track, and then
> after
> > listening to one you want the whole album in your ear, it's annoying to
> > parse the collection... (or maybe i didn't find the correct option/way to
> do
> > this)
>
> Already done in trunk! Keep an eye out for the next beta or grab one
> of our nightly builds.
>

> > - I can't load a m3u playlist using "add a media" menu, is this normal ?
>
> This is a know bug that has already been reported to bugzilla.
>

> > - The collection scanner and parsing is much faster with mysqle, good
> choice
> > for me (190 Go database) and handling the same library is much faster
> than
> > the 1.4.X series (loading, song switching, everything)
>
> Cool! added speed is actually only one of the cool things about this
> switch. Mostly it is about speeding up development by us not having to
> maintain 3 different versions of Sql backends.
>

> > - A full neponumuk integration will be a good point, shared rating and
> > comment, with a krunner interface
>
> There is already a working Nepomuk collection backend done by a Google
> Summer of code Student. This will be improved upon in the future and
> _may_ eventually become the default. Until then, it runs quite happily
> [...]

Simon Esneault
Laboratoire Traitement du Signal et de l'Image, (LTSI, UMR-INSERM 642)
Université de Rennes I, Campus de Beaulieu,
35042 Rennes Cedex, France.
Tel : +33 (0)6 64 61 30 94
Mail : simon.esneault at univ-rennes1.fr