[Feedback] Somewhat of a union

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 02:16:32 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 10:32:20 eddie at simplespace.co.nz wrote:
> Edward Steven sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Hi there.
> My name is Edward Steven. I am currently in the motions of setting up
> (I've been at it for a year so far) a little something called
> 'simplespace'. The website (www.simplespace.co.nz) is online, so please
> feel free to check it out (it is very much in development). Anyway. The
> focus of the company is to be a worldwide portal of music (hopefully a
> recording studio and label) but also a purveyor of open source software
> like amaroK. I believe that we could work together to make the simplespace
> and amaroK relationship harmonious.
>
> The simplespace concept is, well... simple. It is so far a small community
> of like-minded developers, artists, musicians and the like, who have joined
> forces to help the music industry. We are starting music piracy solution
> groups around our local physical community, but also hope to build an
> online presence that will hopefully bring programmers and hackers into the
> next motion of music piracy... a solution. We believe that amaroK could be
> a key player in this, as the music makers, the music providers and the
> music players are all vital stages. Closed source players are not an
> option, whereas open-source development is where we are at... it is the
> correct mentality and how simplespace aims to work. I believe that using
> simplespace as the music development side of a hopefully 2-part team would
> bring open-source music into the same realm as say blender, which is well
> on the way to releasing the 2nd open movie. How is a collaborative
> 'open-album' not a possibilty.
>
> My ideas so far are slightly vague, as I do not know how far amaroK's
> involvement in the music industry intends to be, and for all I know I may
> be barking up the wrong tree, and might only be able to offer a small link
> on  the pages of simplespace. However I hope that together we can help make
> a movement of music listeners... as iTunes has tried, and failed.
>
> Eddie
> Simplespace

This sounds really interesting. I think it would be really cool to have that
kind of thing. I looked at your website (well, only the front and a couple
other pages) and I think what would really work well is if Amarok has
integration with that. I'm not too sure it's a great idea to build it directly
into amarok, because it's more of a service rather than a product, but
something that Amarok (and others) could plug into and integrate with would be
really cool.

Henry de Valence