Google Summer of Code: Amarok CD Stack Collection View

Andreas Schäfer gentryx at gmx.de
Mon Mar 24 22:15:29 UTC 2008

On 22:34 Mon 24 Mar     , Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> [1] The speed issue is of course the thing with animations longer than roughly
> half a second will make people bored and we really don't want that ;)

Yeah, that's true, but luckily it's just an transcoding issue. The
real prototype can run much faster.

On 22:52 Mon 24 Mar     , Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
> >   With regards to using OpenGL versus using a QGV... <SNIP>
>
> I think that using OpenGL is a much better bet in the long term as you
> can do interesting things with lighting, animations and other effects
> really easily. So even if we do not do anything fancy like this
> initially, it will at least keep that door open. Also, I really thing
> that on most modern hardware, using hardware accelerated OpenGL makes
> sense ( Even the eee pc has hardware accelerated OpenGL )

I did read some OpenGL tutorials for this mock up, and it's good to
know nice stuff you can do with it (e.g. highlights on the covers as
they rotate, multiple rotation schemes to prevent things from getting
stale, shadows... even reflections of the opposing boxes are not so
terribly difficult to implement).

Cheers!
-Andreas

Andreas Schäfer
Cluster and Metacomputing Working Group
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Germany
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
I'm a bright... http://www.the-brights.net

(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!