LP Records

Eddie Armstrong eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 20 12:19:27 UTC 2008

Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> .  My first question,
> is  it possible to record my 33 1/3 lp's into my music directory  1 or 2
> a night. hmm might take several months?
Fred
The easy and cheap way is to use Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
Connect a line out from your audio amp to the line in on your soundcard
record via audacity.
You can split, name tracks etc, delete quiet bits at beginning / end of
tracks and do some filtering
I also recommend saving them as FLAC <http://flac.sourceforge.net/>
files for CD quality; unlike wav it is not proprietary, can be tagged
can be compressed to save space and not lose quality. If you
subsequently want mp3s you can convert them - however if you are
undertaking to convert your LP collection it is  advisable not to record
direct into mp3 as you will lose quality.
If you have  a reasonable collection I also recommend EasyTag
<http://easytag.sourceforge.net/> - to help with all that tagging!
And to catalogue/play/browse/admire record sleeves/read lyrics/create
playlists etc  - only Amarok :-)
Eddie