LP Records

Fred Schuelzky phredsky at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 22:14:44 UTC 2008

Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> Fred Schuelzky wrote:
>
>> .  My first question,
>> is  it possible to record my 33 1/3 lp's into my music directory  1 or 2
>> a night. hmm might take several months?
>>
> Fred
> The easy and cheap way is to use Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
> Connect a line out from your audio amp to the line in on your soundcard
> record via audacity.
> You can split, name tracks etc, delete quiet bits at beginning / end of
> tracks and do some filtering
> I also recommend saving them as FLAC <http://flac.sourceforge.net/>
> files for CD quality; unlike wav it is not proprietary, can be tagged
> can be compressed to save space and not lose quality. If you
> subsequently want mp3s you can convert them - however if you are
> undertaking to convert your LP collection it is  advisable not to record
> direct into mp3 as you will lose quality.
> If you have  a reasonable collection I also recommend EasyTag
> <http://easytag.sourceforge.net/> - to help with all that tagging!
> And to catalogue/play/browse/admire record sleeves/read lyrics/create
> playlists etc  - only Amarok :-)
> Eddie

Hi Eddie
    I just d/l both programs, I see another learning curve in the near
future. hehe.  I  just called my son to get my Dual turntable back (he
borrowed it two years ago and he informed me that it no longer works),
so looks like I'll have to look around for a belt, I hope.
     You know it is truly amazing what 3 months of Ubuntu can do to ones
life!  Because of the OS and the coolness of Amorok I never wouid have
even thought of digitizing those 30 year old lp's.

Thanks, Eddie, your input is truly appreciated

Fred