Google Summer of Code: Ready Your Application

Nick Gasson nmg112 at student.cs.york.ac.uk
Sat Mar 8 21:50:32 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm a final-year Computer Systems & Software Engineering student from
the University of York (England). I've been using Amarok for quite a
while now, and I'm really keen to help out with the development (as part
of SoC in particular).

 From the projects on the suggestions wiki, I'm most interested in
working on the playlist functionality in Amarok 2. I use smart/dynamic
playlists a lot in 1.4 and it would be great to have them working (and
improved!) in 2.0 too. This also seems to be a good project to get a
decent understanding of the code base. I'm not too sure on the specifics
yet, as I haven't tried compiling 2.0.

I'm also quite interested in improving Amarok's integration and
compatibility with non-KDE desktop environments and window managers (I'm
a fluxbox user ;-).

I'm fairly experienced in C++ and have used it in an industrial
placement, but I haven't done any Qt yet (although I have used other GUI
toolkits) -- hopefully this won't be too much of a problem?

Thanks
Nick