Google Summer of Code: Ready Your Application

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Mar 10 21:32:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Nick Gasson
<nmg112 at student.cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I'm a final-year Computer Systems & Software Engineering student from
>  the University of York (England). I've been using Amarok for quite a
>  while now, and I'm really keen to help out with the development (as part
>  of SoC in particular).
>
>   From the projects on the suggestions wiki, I'm most interested in
>  working on the playlist functionality in Amarok 2. I use smart/dynamic
>  playlists a lot in 1.4 and it would be great to have them working (and
>  improved!) in 2.0 too. This also seems to be a good project to get a
>  decent understanding of the code base. I'm not too sure on the specifics
>  yet, as I haven't tried compiling 2.0.

The only issue with working on the playlist is that we will be
releasing Amarok during the summer, albeit perhaps just alphas and
betas. However I added the playlist idea to the wiki and it I think
it'd be doable, some of the work may have to be in a feature branch.

>  I'm also quite interested in improving Amarok's integration and
>  compatibility with non-KDE desktop environments and window managers (I'm
>  a fluxbox user ;-).

This sounds more like a Fluxbox project.

>  I'm fairly experienced in C++ and have used it in an industrial
>  placement, but I haven't done any Qt yet (although I have used other GUI
>  toolkits) -- hopefully this won't be too much of a problem?

The Qt API is easy and well-documented. This shouldn't be a problem.

So compile Amarok 2.0, figure out those specifics and send us a proposal. :)
(Questions are also fine of course).

Ian Monroe