Google Summer of Code: Ready Your Application

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Mar 6 20:02:23 UTC 2008

 [image: Google Summer of Code]

I posted this message <http://amarok.kde.org/SummerCode2008> on the Amarok
website today, but I figure that there might be some interested people on
this list who don't check our website everyday. Sorry for the HTML, I didn't
want to convert all the links. :) Please forward to local LUGs or other
groups with lots of computer science students.
Google Summer of Code: Ready Your Application

Students, looking for a resume-building, educational, flexible coding
opportunity this summer? Consider applying for Amarok's Google Summer of
Code. This year Amarok is being guaranteed 5 slots out of KDE's pool - and
last year Amarok only had 4 applicants. So if you put together a good
proposal and work with us to refine it into a strong proposal there's a very
good chance you'll be picked to spend your summer coding for Amarok and earn
a $4500 stipend. Read on for details on how to apply and be accepted.

The first step is thinking of and deciding on an idea or two. Predicting how
long a software development project is going to take is notoriously tricky.
That said, Summer of Code proposals need to be both doable in the span of
fulltime work for a 3-month summer, but also not trivially easy. We've
compiled a list of ideas at KDE's
Techbase<http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas#Amarok>.
These really are just ideas, they still need to be fleshed out with more
detail.

informal feedback from us. Or join us on our IRC channel
(irc.freenode.net#amarok).

The first day you can formally submit proposals on the Google Summer of Code
site <http://code.google.com/soc> is on *March 24th*. Submit them to the KDE
project. It is *very important* to send your idea as early as possible. The
more time you're able to work with us to improve your proposal the better
chance you have. Sending more then one proposal is allowed and encouraged,
but one good proposal is better then 5 mediocre proposals.

Remember that Google isn't picking which students are approved, it's the
Amarok and KDE developer community who decide. So let us get to know you a
little over the next few weeks. And if you send us a patch for Amarok - even
better.
*Links of interest
*

   - Amarok's Project