Amarok and Xine can't play MP3, but VLC and MPlayer can

Donn Washburn n5xwb at windstream.net
Sat Mar 8 10:45:53 UTC 2008

Don't blame Amarok - Blame your installed OS for limiting the use of
mp3s for legal reasons (I do understand why they did it).  This system
is a SuSE 10.3 GM system which didn't play mp3 either.  But downloading
and installing a bunch of new audio libs/apps fixed the problem.  This
system now plays and stores (streamripper) to disk mp3 files.  VLC and
Mplayer will not necessarily solve your problem unless you grab all of
the dependencies that they require.  Beside don't alway trust that every
RPM built for you system has all of the switches set for the depends you
want.  Good example is SuSE xine-lib, xine-ui, K3B and more RPMs.