transKode

Sergio Pistone sergio_pistone at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Mar 4 07:59:04 UTC 2008

I apologize in advance if this got posted at the top level again (the Yahoo
web mail client doesn't play well with the list...)

Now to the point.... It's true that binary scripts can't be reasonable
distributed as I done until now with transKode, which is why, as
I've said, I won't be doing it anymore. But that's also why I suggested
distributingit directly with Amarok. All the problems attributed here
tobinary scripts automatically go away in that scenario.
Also, transKode depends solely onTagLib and Qt/KDELibs, so no
additional dependencies would be required (andthere wouldn't be a
need to compile it as a static binary either as someone suggested). I
don't think there's a problem with binary scripts per se, just with their
distribution. Regardless,there are at least 3 possible choices in dealing
with this issue:
1) Include transKode script more or less as it is with Amarok (once
ported to Qt/KDE 4)
2) Port transKode to Ruby or Python (and maybe include it with
Amarok)
3) Make transcoding part of Amarok itself.
IfI'm not alone in thinking Amarok should ship a default transcoding
script, then the first option has the obvious advantage of being the one
that requires less work. I think the non trivial effort of porting it to Ruby
or Python only begins to make sense if the intention continues to be not
to provide a default script; in which case I'd like to hear the reason forit.
I seriously doubt I'll be porting transKode to Ruby or Python myself
(though if anyone else want to do it, then fine by me). The language
port itself is annoying enough, but it's not the only problem: 1) It will add
moredependencies: QtRuby and Korundum for Ruby or PyQt and
PyKDE for Python. It may be perfectly acceptable for a transcoding
script to be "just" a Qt app, but  transKode is not just a script and
looking at the "bigger picture" it is and will remain a KDE app.
Some of the GUI aspects can be modified to be Qt only (at least for
the script), but some parts in the core will still depend on KDELibs
(for example, the current worker threads and jobs will be ported to
Threadweaver) 2) While I prefer Ruby over Python, threads support is
lame in the first, so Python might actually be the only reasonable language
choice. That's not an terrible problem as some people surely prefer
Python over Ruby... just not me. 3) Porting will most likely carry other
problems aswell. For instance, most encoders dialogs are currently Qt
Designer dialogs (XML files), code generated at compile time and
subclassed, I don't think QtRuby nor PyQt can handle this. Also, I'm
not sure how internationalization will work in this scheme (though this is
probably a non-issue).
Now, there's still the third option... both Mark and Ian have expressed
their doubts aboutwhether the transcoding aspect should be handled by
a script at all.Given that, don't you guys think it's reasonable to have
some sort of discussion on that topic? Unlike with the 2nd choice I listed,
I might actually be willing to cooperate with that.

Sergio.