transKode

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Feb 27 15:59:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Sergio Pistone
<sergio_pistone at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi, my name is Sergio Pistone, and I'm the author of transKode, one of the
> scripts that can be used to transcode file to audio devices (at least in the
> 1.4.x branch, I don't know if things will work the same way for the 2.x
> release).

Thanks for your work in supporting the transKode script all this time.
We often have people come into #amarok asking for its features, its
good to have someplace to point them. :)

Really it shouldn't be your job to package it. I agree with you that
you shouldn't make binaries of it. Thats the distros job. We could
help you get in contact with them.

But as far as your request: Amarok 1.4 is pretty much a shut book.
We're not adding any new features, and though transKode has been
around for a while, it would be too much like adding a new feature to
bundle it in my opinion.

We welcome your help with Amarok 2, perhaps we can integrate the
functionality of transKode directly into Amarok like you said in the
an optional dependency, since transKode has to directly depend on some
multimedia library (which with Phonon Amarok 2 won't at all
otherwise). But perhaps we could bring the successor of transKode into
extragear/mulitimedia and do a better job of promoting it to the
distros.

Ian