transKode

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 19:19:04 UTC 2008

On 2/27/08, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Sergio Pistone
>  <sergio_pistone at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi, my name is Sergio Pistone, and I'm the author of transKode, one of the
>  > scripts that can be used to transcode file to audio devices (at least in the
>  > 1.4.x branch, I don't know if things will work the same way for the 2.x
>  > release).
>
>  Really it shouldn't be your job to package it. I agree with you that
>  you shouldn't make binaries of it. Thats the distros job. We could
>  help you get in contact with them.

It being a binary is really the main problem. Back in the day when I
was designing the scripting system, I thought it was a good idea to
keep it open to any kind of exectutable. I now regret this decision
and I wish we would have forced the use of scripting languages.

Amarok 2 will very likely no longer support binary "scripts", so
please please use a scripting language (a portable one, not Bash) for
the next version of transKode. We could probably assist you with
porting to QtRuby.

--
Mark