script/extension development

Peter Zhou peterzhoulei at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 10:47:45 UTC 2008

Hi Jud Craft,

1.
General Info: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Scripting_HowTo_2.0
Amarok APIs: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Script_API
Qt binding APIs: http://amarok.kde.org/qtscriptbindings/index.html
Scriptable Service:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Scripted_Services_Tutorial_2.0

and you can download the scripts from kde-app.org and study them as
examples.

2. No you can't, but you can use Qt libraries.

3. http://www.peterzl.net/en/?p=99

4. Amarok.Window.OSD and Amarok.Window.Statusbar are used for that:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Script_API#Amarok.Window.OSD
the progress bar API is currently missing, they will be probably available
in the future version though.

Hope these info helps. :)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Jud Craft <craftjml at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in writing a script for Amarok.  I have never used
> Javascript before (which I believe is what QtScript is based on).  I
> am competent in Python and C#, and have done some C++, so I don't
> think this is an impossible task.
>
> The Amarok Wiki has the API reference, and Arstechnica's positive
> review of Amarok mentions that if I wish to craft a UI-based script
> extension, I can use Qt Designer in a process that involves loading
> the UI layout using XML; I have never used Qt myself, but I am willing
> to learn, and this brief description sounds understandable.
>
> I have a few general questions; this may not be the place, or they may
> be poor questions.  I apologize in advance if so.
>
> 1.  Are there any other resources besides the API reference that would
> be of interest? (Besides picking up competency in Javascript of
> course).
> 2.  Can I use other KDE base library functionality?  I would like
> being able to use the KUIserver in particular (isn't that the one that
> handles notifications and monitors processes?  I think that's the
> one).
> 3.  Is there a way to design my script such that I can reuse GUI and
> code as a standalone tool as well as an Amarok script?  This sounds
> more tricky; I imagine it would involve calling functionality in a
> library from within QtScript, but I would imagine the GUI itself could
> be reusable, being XML.
> 4.  How can scripts trigger in-Amarok notifications to the user?  Has
> this been completely superceded by KUIServer/KNotify?  Looking through
> the API in the Amarok wiki doesn't seem to mention support for the
> passive popups which were often used in Amarok 1.4, or the ability to
> trigger a progress bar on the status bar.

Cheers,
Peter ZHOU