script/extension development

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:47:43 UTC 2008

I am interested in writing a script for Amarok.  I have never used
Javascript before (which I believe is what QtScript is based on).  I
am competent in Python and C#, and have done some C++, so I don't
think this is an impossible task.

The Amarok Wiki has the API reference, and Arstechnica's positive
review of Amarok mentions that if I wish to craft a UI-based script
extension, I can use Qt Designer in a process that involves loading
the UI layout using XML; I have never used Qt myself, but I am willing
to learn, and this brief description sounds understandable.

I have a few general questions; this may not be the place, or they may
be poor questions.  I apologize in advance if so.

1.  Are there any other resources besides the API reference that would
be of interest? (Besides picking up competency in Javascript of
course).
2.  Can I use other KDE base library functionality?  I would like
being able to use the KUIserver in particular (isn't that the one that
handles notifications and monitors processes?  I think that's the
one).
3.  Is there a way to design my script such that I can reuse GUI and
code as a standalone tool as well as an Amarok script?  This sounds
more tricky; I imagine it would involve calling functionality in a
library from within QtScript, but I would imagine the GUI itself could
be reusable, being XML.
4.  How can scripts trigger in-Amarok notifications to the user?  Has
this been completely superceded by KUIServer/KNotify?  Looking through
the API in the Amarok wiki doesn't seem to mention support for the
passive popups which were often used in Amarok 1.4, or the ability to
trigger a progress bar on the status bar.