Amarok

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Apr 14 15:40:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Daniel Winter <dw at danielwinter.de> wrote:
> Am Montag 14 April 2008 03:27:25 schrieb Jim:
>
> > I just bought a ASUS Eee PC and it came with Amarok v1.4.3.
>  > As new to the Linux thing, i never even heard of it, after playing with
>  > it for a while streaming music with it, its actually one of the best
>  > programs i have used. i love it.
>  > I did notice that there is a newer version and i dont have a clue what
>  > type to download.
>  > I.E. Debian, Fedora, Free BSD and so on. not to mention i have no clue
>  > how to even install it when i get it. Can you help..
>  > Thanks
>  > Jim
>
>  Hello,
>
>  I have an Eee-PC but I am using Archlinux on it.
>
>  But the default Eee uses Xandros. It's Debian based (uses apt and .deb
>  packages). The problem: They use there one package collection not fully
>  compatible with the packages from debian.
>
>  You could add the debian repositorys to your packages sources and then go and
>  install amarok for Debian.
>
>  But as you are new to Linux I would not recommend that. There is the change
>  that it will brake something.
>
>  So the best for you at the moment would be to wait for a new Version in the
>  eee updater.
>
>  Another idea would be to install another linux distribution. There are some
>  out there special adapted for the eee-pc.
>
>  Or you could go and write in some of the big eee-pc forums. I think there are
>  people who have built custom deb packages for the eee-pc xandros linux of
>  amarok.
>
>  Anyway I would suggesting that you look on  http://www.eeeuser.com/  . In
>  there wiki you could find a lot of information about he xandros linux, different
>  other linux version and how to installation them and so on.
>
>  And then there are the big discussion forum. If you ask your question about
>  new Amarok on Eee Xandros i think they could my better help you as the people
>  on this mailing list.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  DanielW

Yea some great tips Daniel, thanks for sending Jim this info.

But Jim, sending a request to Asus would be quite helpful. Explain
that you're a normal user and why you want the new features of Amarok.
If Amarok users don't request a new version of Amarok, Asus won't put
as much pressure on Xandros to release it. That's just simple
economics. :) Requests from folks like Jim who didn't know of Amarok
before the Asus are probably the most convincing.

Ian