Amarok

Daniel Winter dw at danielwinter.de
Mon Apr 14 12:12:16 UTC 2008

Am Montag 14 April 2008 03:27:25 schrieb Jim:
> I just bought a ASUS Eee PC and it came with Amarok v1.4.3.
> As new to the Linux thing, i never even heard of it, after playing with
> it for a while streaming music with it, its actually one of the best
> programs i have used. i love it.
> I did notice that there is a newer version and i dont have a clue what
> type to download.
> I.E. Debian, Fedora, Free BSD and so on. not to mention i have no clue
> how to even install it when i get it. Can you help..
> Thanks
> Jim

Hello,

I have an Eee-PC but I am using Archlinux on it.

But the default Eee uses Xandros. It's Debian based (uses apt and .deb
packages). The problem: They use there one package collection not fully
compatible with the packages from debian.

You could add the debian repositorys to your packages sources and then go and
install amarok for Debian.

But as you are new to Linux I would not recommend that. There is the change
that it will brake something.

So the best for you at the moment would be to wait for a new Version in the
eee updater.

Another idea would be to install another linux distribution. There are some
out there special adapted for the eee-pc.

Or you could go and write in some of the big eee-pc forums. I think there are
people who have built custom deb packages for the eee-pc xandros linux of
amarok.

Anyway I would suggesting that you look on  http://www.eeeuser.com/  . In
there wiki you could find a lot of information about he xandros linux, different
other linux version and how to installation them and so on.

And then there are the big discussion forum. If you ask your question about
new Amarok on Eee Xandros i think they could my better help you as the people
on this mailing list.

Regards,

DanielW