Amarok 2 transition from 1.x

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Apr 2 17:03:45 UTC 2008

Luis Pabón wrote:
>     No idea, since I've never used mp3fixer.  What do you mean by "loses"
>     tracks?  They don't show up in the collection anymore?  You lose ratings
>     for those tracks?
>

> Say that I've got a collection of 16589 tracks. I load up a MP3 file
> that Amarok reports it's 23 minutes long, but I know it's more like 4,
> so I run mp3fixer on it. mp3fixer does its voodoo and calls for a full
> scan of the collection, for what I can see in its source code. Up until
> here mp3fixer is at fault, however when the rescan finishes I've got
> 15236 tracks on the collection. Not sure why this happens tbh.

Me neither...never used mp3fixer.  You sure that your collection wasn't
simply reporting tracks that no longer existed?  If tracks weren't being
dropped correctly (for instance if you move what folder a song is in)
then you'd start seeing double counting, and a full rescan would fix
this.  I'd look at the count of tracks you actually have...

I could imagine that this could happen for some reason or another on
various systems.  If your filesystem doesn't update mtimes correctly
(for instance if you're using older versions of ntfs-3g) then I *know*
this will happen.

>     Prior to 1.4.4 or so.  Check the wiki for AFT.
>

> Aye, I thought AFT was for that, but it kept happening even after the
> first AFT functionalities were added, I don't know when, was it 1.3?

No, 1.4.4 or so...maybe even as early as 1.4.3  :-)

>     It's as easy as with MySQL.  I'm guessing you don't know of the sqlite
>     CLI (called sqlite3 on some distributions).  Different syntax from the
>     MySQL CLI but it works just as well.
>

> Aye, I can use the CLI, sqlite I've used on a few small web projects and
> it's very complete; that's not the problem. I don't go to the CLI unless
> whatever I have to do is faster on the CLI itself (monitoring,
> apt-getting, killing processes, compiling, linking), that's why I run a
> DE lol. MySQL has quite a few tools to make your life much easier (say
> myadmin) which at the time didn't exist for sqlite. Call me lazy arse :)
> my days of being anal about CLI are long gone, thanks to KDE.

I run a DE because many things are graphical programs.  But a command
line can be far, far more useful than a graphical front-end.  In this
case, my answer is, either write a sqlite frontend yourself (or maybe
integrate it with kexi or something), use hk_classes if it works for you
(forget the name of the app that uses them), or stop being lazy and use
the command line  :-)

--Jeff