Amarok 2 transition from 1.x

Luis Pabón copong at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 11:55:18 UTC 2008

Hey Jeff,

On 01/04/2008, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:

> Some comments:
> where the entire database could be wiped if you were using MySQL -- not
> just on upgrade, but at any time that you opened Amarok.  You might have
> run into that.

Naw, my change to MySQL from sqlite was motivated by the last time my
collection was wiped out, it was on an OS reinstall due to a new hard drive
on the laptop (in short, new UUIDs and amarok version, 1.3 -> 1.4). It's old
stuff anyway now, since it hasn't happened for a long time. The last
iteration of the sqlite database for Amarok was missing after Amarok
started, so I had to hack into an older version (about 1 month older) in the
same folder and export everything to MySQL.

No idea, since I've never used mp3fixer.  What do you mean by "loses"
> tracks?  They don't show up in the collection anymore?  You lose ratings
> for those tracks?

Say that I've got a collection of 16589 tracks. I load up a MP3 file that
Amarok reports it's 23 minutes long, but I know it's more like 4, so I run
mp3fixer on it. mp3fixer does its voodoo and calls for a full scan of the
collection, for what I can see in its source code. Up until here mp3fixer is
at fault, however when the rescan finishes I've got 15236 tracks on the
collection. Not sure why this happens tbh.

Prior to 1.4.4 or so.  Check the wiki for AFT.

Aye, I thought AFT was for that, but it kept happening even after the first
AFT functionalities were added, I don't know when, was it 1.3? Good news it
doesn't happen anymore :)

It's as easy as with MySQL.  I'm guessing you don't know of the sqlite
> CLI (called sqlite3 on some distributions).  Different syntax from the
> MySQL CLI but it works just as well.

Aye, I can use the CLI, sqlite I've used on a few small web projects and
it's very complete; that's not the problem. I don't go to the CLI unless
whatever I have to do is faster on the CLI itself (monitoring, apt-getting,
killing processes, compiling, linking), that's why I run a DE lol. MySQL has
quite a few tools to make your life much easier (say myadmin) which at the
time didn't exist for sqlite. Call me lazy arse :) my days of being anal
about CLI are long gone, thanks to KDE.

--Jeff

Luis Pabón