Amarok 2 transition from 1.x

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Apr 1 11:33:38 UTC 2008

Some comments:

> Sometimes when updating from 1.x to 1.x+1 the collections got wiped out.

Statistics should have been saved, though.  There was actually a bug in
versions prior to somewhere mid-1.4 (not sure of the exact version)
where the entire database could be wiped if you were using MySQL -- not
just on upgrade, but at any time that you opened Amarok.  You might have
run into that.

> Or certain scripts can bugger up your collection (mp3fixer does this for
> me, after fixing a file it rescans the collection and somehow it loses
> 20% of the tracks; how is this allowed to happen?).

No idea, since I've never used mp3fixer.  What do you mean by "loses"
tracks?  They don't show up in the collection anymore?  You lose ratings
for those tracks?

> If you change the partition where you store your music files, they won't
> appear anymore on the collection, unless you rescan (which sometimes
> loses all your playcounts and ratings)

Prior to 1.4.4 or so.  Check the wiki for AFT.

> or hack into the database to
> modify UUIDs in a few places. Mind you, unless you use MySQL there is no
> quick and easy way of doing this in sqlite.

It's as easy as with MySQL.  I'm guessing you don't know of the sqlite
CLI (called sqlite3 on some distributions).  Different syntax from the
MySQL CLI but it works just as well.

--Jeff