feedback! (thanks)

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Oct 17 15:37:39 UTC 2007

larry wrote:
> re the grayed out tracks and them being broken or something: I can get
> amarok to play them individually, and then the font changes to black.
> what's up with that?
There are a few reasons this could happen.  At various points, such as
when files are added to the playlist, stats are run against files.  If
the stat is unsuccessful, the track is greyed out, indicating that it's
unavailable.  However, if the file then becomes available, attempting to
play the file will result in another stat...this stat will be
successful, so the track will be played and will no longer be greyed out.

This is often a result of reorganizing files, moving them around, etc.
Or sometimes, filesystems not being mounted when an original stat occurs.

> why a tree view? I like the idea of the playlist being in a more
> 'compressed' format. of course, I can always just use konqueror for
> that (artist first, then albums under those), but then i don't have
> the functions of amarok. is it silly to want both?
You may like some of the work being done on the playlist in Amarok 2.0,
then.  Check the Amarok blog for articles about it.

Check this out:  http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Debugging_HowTo
> ? what would you suggest is the upper limit for the maximum number of
> tracks for a playlist?
People have reported successfully using thousands of tracks (especially
with very recent versions, don't remember if it'd be 1.4.7 or current
SVN, which will eventually become 1.4.8).  But if your playlist consists
of thousands of tracks, chances are there are better ways to find and
play the music you want.  You may want to look into Smart Playlists and
Dynamic Playlists.

--Jeff