feedback!

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Wed Oct 17 12:07:06 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Gleb Litvjak wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 07:43:55 larry wrote:
> > some of my issues with Amarok:
> > OK, I know why some tracks are in blue, but what does the gray font
> > mean??
>
> The blue tracks are the most recently added. The grey are "broken" (file
> doesn't exist, etc)
>
> > but why does it quit when I have thousands of tracks in the
> > playlist and why does it not have a feature to keep a *non-volatile* log
> > of all the bad tracks that it tries to play??

Why do you have so many bad tracks anyway?  Doing a rescan of the collection
should eliminate all the bad tracks from the database anyway.  If you got all
the bad tracks because you deleted a bunch of files after you created the
Amarok collection, the program won't know you've made the deletions until you
do an update or a rescan.  If you delete the tracks from the collection using
Amarok, the database deletion will be made at the same time the file is
deleted, so this won't happen.

Amarok isn't designed to be used to manage huge playlists.  It strikes me as a
bit selfish that you come here to complain that Amarok doesn't work the way
you want it to, when it wasn't designed to work the way you want it to.

> > why can't I close the left side panel that opens "tabs"? I don't
> > care about that junk and it just takes up real estate on my desktop!!
>
> You can, actually. Click on the active tab, and then the panel is hidden.

You can also hide the tabs themselves by clicking on the little gears icon at
the top of the column of tabs.  You can then select which tabs to show, just
choose to show none.

> > why isn't there an option to show the playlist in a tree format
> > instead of aallll the individual tracks? what a freakin' waste!! this
> > *is* running on KDE riiight?
>
> What is the point of a tree format playlist? I really don't see.

I don't see what you mean here either.  If you are referring to the ability to
simply put all your collection in one big playlist, and then be able to
filter it into smaller ones, you might want to look into juk.  Amarok is not
designed to be used that way.  It is designed to be used to manage a large
collection, keep track of how you listen, and break it up into smaller
playlists.

> *hopefully* this will be taken as constructive criticism. i am not a

It would be taken as constructive criticism if you were a little less
demanding and used a tone of inquiry instead of entitlement.  I don't think
it is really appropriate to come here, be condescending and demanding, then
tell us we aren't taking your "constructive criticism" the right way.  Not to
mention that you haven't really provided constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism usually involves stating a use case that you would like
to address, explaining how the program does not meet that case, making an
argument for why it should be addressed by the developers.  You've done none
of that, but you have done a great job of complaining.

> programmer or developer so i really can't appreciate all the effort that
> goes into this project

It's great that you can comprehend that.  So why do you come here and use
language that comes across as highly critical instead of inquisitory in
nature.  If you don't like it, you are free not to use it.  You don't have
the right to come and complain that it isn't working the way you want it to
and that we suck, especially since most of what you complain about is caused
by either a lack of understanding of the design goals of the program, or an
ignorance of the existence of the features you ask for.

> but if this is the "best" audio player available for KDE then I am glad
> I didn't bother tryin' any of the others!

Best is a highly subjective term.  Many people like Amarok for the features
you have indicated that you dislike.  So if this is the case, perhaps Amarok
would not be your best choice.  Really, I think something like Foobar2000 or
iTunes might be more up your alley.  If you insist on staying on the linux
platform, it sounds like juK will be more to your liking., although if that
is your choice I would highly recommend you make an adjustment to the
attitude you have towards something you get for free, or at least learn how
to communicate in a constructive way.

*hopefully* you will take my constructive criticism the right way.

--
Cheers and happy amarokin!
Greg