Amarok in OpenSuse 10.3

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Tue Oct 9 17:31:56 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 06:55:30 Dan wrote:
> Robert Smits wrote:
> > On Monday 08 October 2007 22:21:49 Dan wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Why is it not possible to use the install-distro-codec script with xine
> >> like kubuntu does?  Wouldn't this absolve you from sin and all that good
> >> stuff?
> >
> > Why would you want to? Just go to the following url and click on gnome or
> > kde as required...http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
>
> Because that requires the user to know to go to that website.  The point
> of our install-distro-codec functionality is that it allows users to
> install it on demand if they try to play an mp3 file, rather than trying
> to figure out why it doesn't work.

I misunderstood your question. You don't need to go anywhere to play an mp3
file with out of the box opensuse 10.3. It already plays them. It uses the
fluendo codec.

My problem appears to be a glitch in gstreamer that got imported with the
online update. Changing to xine fixes that, and I'm sure another update for
gstreamer will be along soon.

It can hardly be easier, now, to use formats like dvd, divx, mp3 and so on for
either Ubuntu or OpenSuse. I'd prefer, always to have the option of being
able to use a proprietary format or not, though, and not to have it installed
automatically.

Bob Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your
living room by people you wouldn't have in your home...David Frost