Amarok in OpenSuse 10.3

Martin Aumueller aumuell at reserv.at
Tue Oct 9 16:46:13 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Dan wrote:
> Robert Smits wrote:
> > On Monday 08 October 2007 22:21:49 Dan wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Why is it not possible to use the install-distro-codec script with xine
> >> like kubuntu does?  Wouldn't this absolve you from sin and all that good
> >> stuff?
> >
> > Why would you want to? Just go to the following url and click on gnome or
> > kde as required...http://opensuse-community.org/Multimedia
>
> Because that requires the user to know to go to that website.  The point
> of our install-distro-codec functionality is that it allows users to
> install it on demand if they try to play an mp3 file, rather than trying
> to figure out why it doesn't work.

And as far as I understand the situation, the point of SUSE using the
gstreamer engine is that installing of additional codecs is not necessary at
all, as they can just put Fluendo's mp3 codec for gstreamer on the cd. This
is even more user-friendly. Having to download something can be quite a
hurdle for new users (setting up internet access, ...).