can't save booleans to a posgresql database

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:37:49 UTC 2007

> > We really shouldn't try to support three different databases. :) It
> > also doesn't help that the basic database code is all a hack.
>
> Please continue to do so. I use amarok with a postgresql database
> exclusively. Also keep in mind that the file based databases can't be used
> in any case (networked home dir). However, what is missing in the current
> implementation is that several users can share the same (postgresql, mysql)
> database, all having their own ratings, playlists, etc.

No. I agree with Ian here. We should not have to support 3 different
database backends. There are several things that has to be taken into
consideration here. While I know some users have very specific uses
for other databases, it could be interesting to know what percentage
of our users are actually using anything other than the default sqlite
databse. I do get the feeling some times that we are spending an
unproportionally large amount of time catering to a very small
percentage of users in this case.

Anyway, I am not saying that sqlite is the correct default. I am no
expert, but maybe there is a better option out there that allows us to
code for once database while still allowing users the flexibility that
sqlite does not offer.

For now though, my own instinct ( don't worry, I know other devs
disagree strongly here, so most likely not going to happen ) would be
to ditch support for mysql and postgresql. At the very least until we
Amarok2 is running well, as it is slowing our general progress
somewhat to have to worry about these things.

- Nikolaj