can't save booleans to a posgresql database

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Fri Nov 9 07:43:13 UTC 2007

On 2007.11.09. 09:37, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
>>> We really shouldn't try to support three different databases. :) It
>>> also doesn't help that the basic database code is all a hack.
>> Please continue to do so. I use amarok with a postgresql database
>> exclusively. Also keep in mind that the file based databases can't be used
>> in any case (networked home dir). However, what is missing in the current
>> implementation is that several users can share the same (postgresql, mysql)
>> database, all having their own ratings, playlists, etc.
>
> No. I agree with Ian here. We should not have to support 3 different
> database backends. There are several things that has to be taken into
> consideration here. While I know some users have very specific uses
> for other databases, it could be interesting to know what percentage
> of our users are actually using anything other than the default sqlite
> databse. I do get the feeling some times that we are spending an
> unproportionally large amount of time catering to a very small
> percentage of users in this case.
>
> Anyway, I am not saying that sqlite is the correct default. I am no
> expert, but maybe there is a better option out there that allows us to
> code for once database while still allowing users the flexibility that
> sqlite does not offer.
>
> For now though, my own instinct ( don't worry, I know other devs
> disagree strongly here, so most likely not going to happen ) would be
> to ditch support for mysql and postgresql. At the very least until we

which would kill any usage of larger collections :)
i got a pretty huge performance boost by moving from sqlite to remote
mysql - and that was with ~ 35% less tracks than i have now.

as for "what our users are using" - several projects are including some
statistics gathering - maybe it is worth rolling out something that
would report db used, and what other functionality is used (count of
custom smart/dynamic playlists, podcast/stream usage etcetc). of course,
that's additional work, so only makes sense if the results are deemed
useful enough :)

--
  Rich