[Feedback] Feature suggestion

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 4 09:00:55 UTC 2007

K Robinson wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 10:49:43 pm Dan wrote:
>> craig at clark.name wrote:
>>> Craig Clark sent a message using the contact form at
>>> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> For the backend, rather than sqllite or similar could you use the iTunes
>>> xml library so the same library info is recorded between all my PC's.
>> Instead of asking us this question.. why not ask apple if they can store
>> the library in an Amarok sqlite database? I'm sure they would be willing
>> to embrace an open alternative!
>>

> Perhaps Apple and Amarok should both have pluggable database back ends, so
> they can both interchangeably use each other's data.  Or perhaps someone
> could write a program that converts and/or syncs the two formats.  Maybe we
> should build a quantum entanglement module into it so you're never sure which
> format the database is really in until you look at it.

I've been talking about this holy grail of media device metadata backend
for *years*, but have given up hope if it happening in the short term
(seeing as I've personally not got time to do it!).

IMO there should not be any database but everything should run off a
metadata tracker (e.g. Beagle, Tracker, Spotlight) which would be
detailed and flexible enough to allow all the information to be aggregated.

See http://colin.guthr.ie/general/development/metalibrarian.html for a
very outdated rant on this subject made about two years ago.

I've simply not had time to pursue this myself, but perhaps if I keep
mentioning it, people with motivation and time may eventually get
inspired.... ;)

Col