Podcasts

Justin F. Knotzke jknotzke at shampoo.ca
Thu May 3 16:03:49 UTC 2007

  Hi,

   I'm trying to rid of having to boot into Windows to access my iPod via
iTunes. I've spent a few weeks going through all the players and some of the
code and Amarok appears the most advanced.

   There are however three missing features in regards to podcasts that I'd
like to bring up.

   1. Copy Podcasts to the podcast section of the iPod
      1. gtkpod does this. When copying podcasts from my PC to the
      iPod, Amarok dumps them into my iPod in the same section as the
rest of my
      music. The only way to sort out what is a podcast and isn't, is
by sorting
      by Genre. Podcasts are somewhat different from regular music and
it would be
      swell if it was treated as such.
   2. Filename and Titles. All the players I looked at have this problem.
   The title of the podcast is the filename. Yet, in a RSS feed, there is a
   <title> tag buried in the <item> tag of the rss file. This is the actual
   title of the podcast. Using the filename more often then not, does not help
   me at all in determining what I am about to listen to.
      1. A good way of showing this is to look at a screeshot:
      http://amarok.kde.org/d/en/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=1100&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

      2. The idea of an "album" for instance doesn't really exist in a
      podcast. That, and you can see that the "title" also isn't very
descriptive.
      Using the title in the rss file would be much more helpful.
      3.   Chapters. No player supports this. I've started to look at
   the code and it's a bit complicated to support. But Podcasts, using iTunes,
   supports the idea of chapters in podcasts. In a given Podcast, there are
   sections (chapters) and often cover art is associated with each podcast.

          So, is anyone working on this? If not, how can I help ?

    Thanks!

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke at shampoo.ca
http://www.shampoo.ca